The George T. and Margaret W. Romani Fellowship is awarded to an outstanding graduate student nominated by his or her academic department. Nominees must express a commitment to pursuing studies in some aspect of the Middle Ages or Renaissance, defined broadly as the period from Late Antiquity to the mid-seventeenth century and must be studying under the mentorship of a faculty member who is an active member of CMRS.
Those eligible are newly-admitted and continuing UCLA graduate students.
The fellowship consists of a $20,000 stipend. Funding for student fees, tuition, and other expenses must be provided by the recipient’s academic department or other sources.
Students selected to receive the Romani Fellowship may not hold another major fellowship (i.e., an award greater than $7500) simultaneously.
To be considered for the award, students must be nominated by their academic department. The Department Chair must submit a letter of nomination. Departments may nominate up to two students a year.
Applications are due April 15, 2021.
The letter of nomination should include:
- A description of why the student is being nominated for the award, including an account of the student’s prospects for success in research and scholarship
- The name of the faculty member who will be the student’s mentor in Medieval and/or Renaissance Studies. The faculty member should be an active member of the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- The department’s commitment to provide funding for the student’s fees and other expenses
In addition to the letter of nomination from the Department Chair, the student or the department (on behalf of the student) must submit
- Short statement (one page) written by the student describing his/her interests in the field of Medieval and/or Renaissance Studies and academic goals
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or faculty member familiar with the student’s academic work
- Copy of the student’s transcripts (university level only)
Nomination materials should be submitted by email (PDF format preferred) to email@example.com. Please use “Romani Fellowship Nomination” as the subject line.